The Housing Support program is located in Karratha, Roebourne, South Hedland and Newman. The Housing support service focuses on 3 key strategies:
- Breaking the cycle of homelessness to help people get back on their feet, find stable accommodation and obtain employment;
- A better connected service system that will build more connected, integrated and responsive services that strive to achieve; and
- Sustainable housing, and improve economic and social participation of those at risk of homelessness.
Tenants on the program receive home visits from the service worker on a regular basis providing support and advocacy, practical assistance and links to other agencies and mainstream services. i.e. Centrelink, financial counselling (where they are assisted with managing budgets), hospitals, disability services, health, training and employment.
Housing Support Workers conduct outreach to build relationships around the Pilbara.
Approaching each case with a holistic approach always taking into consideration the individuality of that person’s needs. However, housing in most cases are a common need with clients. If housing is a priority whether it be for the homeless that have fled from a DV situation our first priority is to help arrange their long-term housing with Housing Priority, by assisting them to fill in their applications.
Housing supports work, alongside our DV Support workers, help to maintain a safe place of emergencies accommodation in the short term.
Our services include:
- Referring women who have been involved in domestic Violence that may need some assistance with legal advice on Family Law;
- Families and individuals that are faced with eviction to take preventative measures and learn to take action before property standards have reached Breach Notices from Housing Authority; and
- Supporting clients with a wide variety of services to help sustain long term tenancies.
If you would like to refer a client to one of our services please complete an External Referral Form and send to the nearest PCLS office.